Advertisement

Advertisement

Thursday, August 11, 2011

I have a job interview

I haven't blogged for awhile. Truth be told, I've been scrambling. Ever since we lost a major client for our courier business, I've been trying to scrape up cash wherever I can. eBay, little bits of freelance, other courier work, etc. When we lost our medical client late last month, I was at an impasse. Almost two years ago, I told myself I would never work for anyone else again. I've gone to great lengths to keep my word to myself. I've sold on eBay and Amazon, done some freelance writing, worked roadside assistance, delivered flowers, delivered medical supplies, built and started Stickit2Man.com and cut my lifestyle expenses to necessities -- and sometimes, I've even cut those out. I don't have health insurance right now -- even though my kids do. My personal life is relatively happy, but I'm stressed constantly. And I'm worried about providing for my kids.

There are few companies for which I would commute to New York City at this time. Four hours of traveling a day is not for me -- and fortunately, I'm not in a miserable marriage anymore that forces me into that predicament (in the name of providing with one income). But if I can work in Connecticut, I've decided that providing a little security to my fiancee and kids can be important -- and that I won't truly sell out all that is dear to me if I play my cards right. Of course, no job is truly secure these days, but the volatility of sinking or swimming isn't as extreme as in self-employment. For this reason, I've sent out a few resumes and I have a very promising job interview next week. That doesn't mean I have the job. The position is not even in PR -- although it does play to my strengths.

Stickit2Man.com will continue. We have over 620 likes on Facebook now. I did my first press interview earlier this week. Eventually, I will move the blog to the site domain and redesign the site. My principles haven't changed, but I'm going to be a good husband and father. And that means keeping a steady income flow, while I slowly build my fortune on the side.

My ultimate fate will always rest in my hands -- and God's. I won't be a victim of this economy.

Kick ass and take names,
Pete

Back to Stickit2Man.com

4 comments:

  1. I've been there. We almost lost our house. We were gonna have to move back east. I felt beaten. Then Ed got a great job. Then I got out of a miserable job I had taken and got one I love. IT GETS BETTER. Good luck with the interviews! You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Shannon! I'm glad you got to stay in Texas, because I know you love it there. Congrats on your persistence and the results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what you're saying is, you want to decide what you're worth, and want to be compensated for the time and energy you put in? You are basically reiterating every NVP story I heard this week at the Arbonne conference in the Bahamas. Just sayin'. You should take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cie, trust me, I SO want to help Serina get involved in Arbonne when the time is right. I think we both have the potential to be very successful business owners. If I can help her grow her business on the Web, I'll do it in a heartbeat.

    ReplyDelete